On Wednesday night, I was excited about the fact that I would wake up to the Emmy nominations the next morning. I watch more critically acclaimed shows now than I did at this time last year, so I thought I may actually see some of my favorite shows get recognition. Then Thursday came and I ended up being more disappointed than excited.
I can’t entirely blame the voting committee. There is a lot of quality television on the air right now and it would be impossible to watch all of it. Some of the categories (in particular, Supporting Actor in a Drama Series) were so full of worthy candidates that some people were just going to have to be left out.
However, recognizing this fact didn’t make the disappointment any easier so I’ve compiled a list of my biggest snubs with this year’s nominees.
1) Tatiana Maslany. I know that traditionally, sci-fi gets ignored by the Emmys but that doesn’t mean it should. I haven’t seen Orphan Black (yet) but I know she deserved the nomination. She played 7 different characters and made each of them distinct. That takes a lot of talent that should be recognized.
2) Monica Potter. This was Parenthood’s best season yet and a lot of that was because of the skill and care she showed in her storyline. Kristina’s arc was so emotionally powerful and it allowed Monica Potter to show off her abilities as a dramatic actress.
3) New Girl/Jake Johnson/Max Greenfield. The lack of nominations for New Girl and its cast was my biggest surprise of the year. The second season of this show was one of the best comedy seasons of the year and I thought it would be recognized for that. It wouldn’t have been undeserved to have Jake Johnson win the award, so to have him be ignored was disappointing. Max Greenfield is such a favorite (and let’s face it, the supporting actor in a comedy series category shouldn’t be dominated by Modern Family the way that it is) that I would have guessed he was a shoo-in as well.
4) Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. For me, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau delivered the best male performance of the season on Game of Thrones. Jaime started out the season as a jerk who was sleeping with his sister. By the end, he had been given so much more depth and most of that can be attributed to the brilliant job that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau did in the bath scene. It was an extremely emotionally vulnerable scene and I don’t think anyone else could have played it better.
5) Hannibal/Hugh Dancy/Mads Mikkelsen. Hannibal is one of the two best dramas on network television right now and Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen are giving some of the best performances on a network show right now. I know the drama categories are over-stuffed, but the show deserved to be nominated somewhere. At the very least, they should have gotten a cinematography nomination, because it’s the most beautifully shot show on TV right now.
Those were the biggest omissions in my opinion, who were your biggest snubs?